Do you know how to make money using Instagram?
This social channel is currently worth more than $100 billion. However, it’s not just the owners of Instagram that are raking in the big bucks. Instagram users can also earn a serious amount of cash from the platform too.
Influencers with a million followers or more make up to $250,000 per post for sponsored ads and affiliate posts.
Ok, so not everyone has a million followers to brag about – but you don’t need to be one of the world’s biggest Instagram stars to make your fortune on social media.
There are ways to make money on Instagram without spending every second of each day editing and posting photos of your favourite meals.
Here are just a handful of simple solutions for people who want to “Do It for the Gram” and get paid at the same time.
How to Make Money Using Instagram: What You Need First
Before you rush out and start trying to charge people for the pictures you’re taking on Instagram, you’re going to need to do a few things first.
Here’s what every Instagram star needs to make their fortune:
- Stunning photos: You can’t get #InstaFame without attractive pictures. If you’re using a sub-standard smartphone camera for your pics, now is the time to upgrade to a fully-featured DSLR camera. Make sure that you invest in some editing software too so you can make your pictures look 100% professional.
- A complete profile: People on Instagram want to work with pros. You’re not going to look committed to your career if your bio isn’t filled out Make sure that you’ve filled everything out and add a few #hashtags and keywords to attract the right kind of followers.
- A schedule: Consistency is key on social media – and that’s true for Instagram too. Make sure you know how frequently you’re going to post and stick to your calendar. Your Instagram Insights will show you how often you should get online. Pay attention to how your engagement changes depending on how often you post.
- Relevant hashtags: Make sure that your content always gets found by using the right hashtags. You can find plenty of tools online that will help with this, including Hashtagify, or even the Later app.
- Engagement: You can’t just post content at your audience and expect them to fall in love with you and start throwing cash your way. The best Instagram users are always the ones that engage with their followers! Respond to comments, like posts, and get involved with your community.
Got all of those things?
Great. Now we can start to make money on Instagram with some of the following methods.
1. Get Sponsored by Your Favorite Brand
If you’ve got an engaged community of followers connected with your Instagram account, then you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a company that wants to attract their attention. By working with the right brands, you can get paid to take pictures of you wearing their merch or using their products.
A sponsored post on Instagram is a video or image that highlights a specific brand or product. Essentially, you act as an influencer for the company that you’re working with, showing your followers that their products are awesome.
The most challenging thing about sponsored posts is finding a company that’s willing to sponsor you. Here are a few things you can do:
- Tag your posts with the right hashtags: Specific hashtags like #Influencer or #TravelInfluencer will help to pull companies towards your profile when they’re looking for Instagram authorities to work with.
- Update your bio: In your Instagram bio, let companies know that you’re willing to work with people from a specific niche. Don’t just say that you’ll do sponsored posts for anyone. Otherwise, you could come off as desperate.
- Sign up for tools like Influenz or TapInfluence where you can submit your profile to be matched with companies in need of influencers.
2. Become an Affiliate
If you’ve looked into ways of making money on the internet before, then you’ve probably seen the term “Affiliate marketing.”Affiliates promote products and services on behalf of another business, and they get paid for every sale they influence. You’ll see a lot of bloggers doing this with links to specific products in their blogs, or sidebar banners promoting their partners.
Instagram affiliate marketing is easy to get started with. All you need to do is track down a website like Ebates or Stylinity, where you can find companies to work with. Stylinity is a particularly good option for fashion bloggers.
It can take a little while to make money on Instagram through affiliate marketing because you’ll only get paid small amounts, to begin with. However, it’s a good way to break into the influencer marketing game and get your name out there. If you can expand your chances of sales by combining your influencer profile with a website and blog, then you’ll earn more cash too!
3. Open and Promote your Own Online Store
Don’t like the idea of selling someone else’s products? Why not flog your own instead?
If you’ve been wondering how to make money using Instagram, and you also happen to have a creative side, then you could be on the right track to opening your own business. Instagram is a great place to show off products that you might sell through channels like Etsy. Home-made jewellery, fashion items, artworks, and anything else that’s aesthetically attractive will perform well on Instagram.
Check out Doug the Pug for instance – he became one of the biggest entrepreneurs in Instagram history, just by selling shirts, mugs, and other memorabilia with pictures of his adorable face on them. Some of the things you can sell include:
- Printed memorabilia like pens, t-shirts, pillows, and wall-art
- Digital products like eBooks, design templates or educational courses
- Jewelry or home-made designs
- Homeware products
- Baking Goods
- Fashion items
4. Sell your Photos
If you’re eager to make money on Instagram, but the idea of running an entire business just sounds exhausting, you could always try selling your photos instead. If you’ve followed the advice given above and bought yourself a good camera, then you should have everything you need to take some pretty stunning images.
Go and learn how to make the most out of your photography skills. You can find courses online or enrol for night lessons at a local college or school. Once you’ve figured out the basics of photography, get on Instagram, and browse for inspiration. There are plenty of photographers out there that showcase their skills on their Instagram profiles.
Remember, you’ll be much more likely to sell an authentic-looking photo than one that looks cheesy or staged. Many Instagram users also find that it’s easier to find companies that want to buy their photography if they focus on a specific niche. For instance, you might concentrate on up-close images, corporate photos, pictures of food, or landscapes.
Once you’re ready to start selling, check out marketplaces like Foap, where you can earn money for every photo you take. The website also hosts missions where you can compete with other photographers for a higher rate from big-name brands.
5. Use Instagram to Improve Other Income Streams
One great way to make some extra cash from Instagram is to combine your profile with something you’re already doing to earn money online. For instance, if you’re a fashion consultant, you can build your credibility and drive up asking prices, the more popular you become on Instagram. People will see your engaged social following, and they’ll trust that you know what you’re doing.
You can also use Instagram to improve your chances of earning big bucks:
- As an artist: Show people the kind of custom portraits and pictures you can create. Your customers will share the art that they’re happy with and attract potential new customers to your page.
- As a make-up artist: Use Instagram to post pictures of your amazing talents with a makeup brush. You can even teach people how to do what you do with videos and Instagram Stories that you attach to your Highlights reel.
- A YouTube star: YouTube already has a monetized system in place for rewarding top performers. If you can attract more people to your YouTube channel through Instagram, you could increase your earning potential.
6. Sell Your Instagram Account
Finally, one of the simplest ways to make money on Instagram is to sell your account. It takes a little work to make sure that you have a profile that people want to buy. However, if you commit to growing a good following for your Instagram channel, then you might be able to put your profile up for sale on a site like “Fame Swap.”
Depending on how many followers and likes you have, you can charge thousands of dollars for a well-connected Instagram account. Of course, if you’ve got a serious number of followers, then you might prefer to hold onto your account and try influencer marketing instead. It all depends if you want to earn a long-term income or make some quick cash.
Get Paid to #Gram
Learning how to make money using Instagram isn’t as difficult as it seems.
These days, countless people have transformed their skills on Instagram from a fun hobby, into a valuable source of extra income. Whether you’re selling stunning photos or improving the reputation of other brands through influencer marketing, there are plenty of ways to make a buck.
All you need to do is figure out which strategy you’re going to try and stick to it.
Remember, dedication pays off in the long-term, even on Instagram!