So, you have decided to deactivate or delete your Twitter account forever …
You bet I felt the same way after reading so many Trump tweets, and as a matter of fact, after some time, may be a few years, the charm of a social media handle fades away.
This is why I made this post to help you easily deactivate or delete your Twitter account, and especially to share with you the best practices in regard to deactivating or deleting Twitter account.
1. Things to Consider Before Deleting the Account for Good
Alright, you want to delete your Twitter account forever and I understand that there might be legit reasons for that.
Perhaps you had an obsession with hourly tweets and you want to stop wasting time; this part of the post will explain things to consider before deleting the twitter account forever.
- Beware that your unique username e.g. @abc, can be taken by someone else. In case you have grown a strong profile on Twitter with thousands of followers, you might not want to do this. You can tweak with the notifications to make sure that you’re least disturbed by Twitter app, and in doing so, you can keep your account and come back to Twitter whenever you need.
- Most importantly you need to know that social media is a very powerful tool for business. Even if you sell or make zilch, as long as you have a big number (like real big) of followers, you can outreach to businesses or they will outreach to you to promote their products and services. These people, as you might know, are known as influencers and make a lot of money just promoting stuff.
- Also, if you have a services business (even products one), you can use Twitter as a means to personal branding and business branding. Do not promote others’ services and products, but promote your own, have a robust digital presence and act like a 21st century professional.
2. How to Deactivate Twitter Account
Here is how you deactivate your twitter account on Mac or Windows computer.
- Go to your browser (any of them) and open Twitter’s website.
- Click on More – you’d find it at the bottom left of the screen.
- From the menu that appears by clicking More, you see Settings & Privacy option, click that.
- Now you see a lot of options – like Settings, General, Login and Security and Data and Permissions. On the bottom right you see the option to deactivate your Twitter account. Click that and you’d see a detailed chunk of information what deactivation means and what else you need to know about deactivation.
- At the bottom of that information, you see ‘Deactivate’ colored red – so you know that once you click that word Twitter will deactivate your account for 30 days.
Since the UI of same app is different in Android from what it is in iOS, we have to take a look at both of them separately. Here is how you deactivate your Twitter handle on Android device (mobile, tab).
- Open Twitter app in your Android device. You see Home written on top of the app, and a round icon of your Twitter avatar. Tap on that icon.
- Now you see a menu with your icon and Twitter username on the top. Below them are different options like Profile, Lists, Bookmarks, Moments, and Settings and privacy.
- Tap on Settings and privacy, and in that menu, you will find more options like Account, Privacy and safety, Notifications, Content preferences and other General settings. Tap on the Account option.
- Here you will see many options like Login and Security, and Data and permissions, at the bottom of all that detail, you see the option to Deactivate your account.
- A tap on that will take you to the same page telling you that this option will deactivate your account and what else you should know.
- At the bottom of all that detail there is an option to Deactivate the account (colored red), tap on that and you’ll deactivate your Twitter handle for 30 days.
Here is how you deactivate your Twitter handle on Android device (mobile, tab).
- Go to your Twitter app.
- At the top of the screen, tap on your round icon (with avatar).
- From the menu, among many different choices, tap on Settings and privacy.
- Now you see a new menu and again a lot of choices, but make sure to only tap on Account.
- This is where you see the useful chunk of information about deactivation and what else you should know about 30 days term and other important details. At the bottom of this, you find Deactivate button … tap on Deactivate your account and this is it.
Deactivating your account is a big decision, so clicking/tapping the Deactivate button is not all you do to deactivate the account.
System asks you for your password to make sure that it is a sane choice made by the person who owns the account.
Once you enter the password, it is a quick one way move, you go through different choices and eventually the one-way process ends on you deactivating the Twitter for 30 days.
3. How to Delete Twitter Account
So, you’re sure that you do not want to take a break from Twitter, but you want to get rid of it forever?
Well, there is not option to delete your Twitter account immediately. Just to make sure that people do not lose their precious influencer accounts by mistake, Twitter introduced the 30 days policy.
If you do not log in to your Twitter account within 30 days, your account will be automatically deleted – FOR EVER!!!
With your account goes all your data as well, so make sure to activate it before 30 days period ends in case you do not want to lose it forever.