In the wake of social media privacy concerns, Instagram has pretty strict policies when it comes to downloading and distributing photos (and videos) that aren’t owned by you. While this makes Instagram one of the safest platforms for sharing personal data. It is frustrating when you find a really good quote, a landscape that you would like to keep as your wallpaper, a group photo shared by old friends or a picture of your favorite product. And you cannot save Instagram Photos it directly to your phone.
Some of the major reasons Instagram users want to download photos (stalkers excluded) include the following:
- To save work-related tips shared by pros in the field. After all, the experts have Instagram profiles where they share their most exciting ideas.
- Keep tabs on the launch of a new product (e.g. makeup, electronics, books).
- Download photos of your favorite celebrity because you’d like to take inspiration from their style.
- You simply like the quote, or a cat meme that you’d like to share with your friends.
- To know what content your competing brands are sharing. This one is essential for business profiles.
I find one of my friends particularly upset because she wants to save different yoga poses to try them out later. So, we decided to compile a list of the ways you can save Instagram photos directly to your phone.
There are five ways you can save Instagram pictures to your phone.
- Bookmark them.
- Turn on the Save Original Photos option (this goes for your pictures only).
- Screenshot ‘em.
- Download Instagram photos through Page Source.
- Download Instagram photos through URLs.
- Use Third-Party
We’ll dive into all these options in a while. First, lets read a bit about Instagram copyrights policy right here.
Let us now show you the steps on how to use each option to save and download Instagram photos.
Bookmark Your Favorite Instagram Photos
Thank Instagram for adding this nifty feature where you can save your favorite photos bookmarking them. Just follow these simple steps:.
- Open the picture you want to save and tap the flag option on the down right corner of the photo. That’s it you’re done!
- In order to access the saved pictures, go to your profile page.
- Tap the three horizontal lines.
- Tap the bookmark option appearing next to the flag icon.
Here’s a PROTIP! You can even organize all your bookmarked photos under one collection. Think of it as a Pinterest board. All the related photos under a single tab for you to re-visit anytime you want!
This action is totally private, and the person is not notified that you bookmarked their photo.
In order to organize the bookmarked photos;
Step 1:Go to your Instagram profile.
Step 2:Tap the three lines and go to the bookmark icon.
Step 3:Select the plus icon to create a new album. You can move bookmarked photos to organize them.
You cannot re-share the photo under your own name, so give credit where credit is due. You can tag the original owner of the picture or seek written permission.
Save Original Instagram Photos to Your Phone
This one is pretty basic, easy and a complete lifesaver. Many people take photos, and upload stories directly from Instagram and like to save them to their camera roll for a keepsake. Well, there is an option that would automatically save your Instagram photos into the camera roll. All you have to do is turn on that option.
- Go to your Profile.
- Tap the three horizontal lines.
- In the very bottom, you will see the icon for settings. Tap that icon.
- Go to the option for Original Posts.
- Turn the toggle button for Save Original Photos.
And you’re done!
The Screenshot Option
We’re all guilty of screenshotting those special quotes and fave makeup looks. But, for those of you who are new to this, taking a screenshot is by far the quickest (not the neatest, though) option to save a picture from Instagram onto your mobile phone.
You need the permission of the owner to re-share or recreate that picture on Instagram.
You can further crop the screenshot to eliminate unnecessary details and keep the object of focus only.
You can also use the Snipping tool from your desktop to screenshot when online from the desktop.
Use Page Source to Download Instagram Photos
If a lil’ bit of coding doesn’t intimidate you, here’s how you do it:
1:Log into your Instagram account from the desktop.
2: Open the picture you want to save and click on the three dots on the bottom right corner of the post.
3: Select Go to post.
4: Right click and select view page source. A new tab will open with codes.
5:Next, press Ctrl+F and enter .jpg in the search box and highlight the first link with a .jpg you’ll find.
6:Copy and paste the link in a new web browser.
7:The image will appear and you’ll be able to right-click and save the photo.
Use URLs to Download Instagram Photos
You can download Instagram photos by using URLs through the following steps.
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile and choose the picture you’d like to copy.
- Select the “…” on the top corner of the post.
- Tap “Share on Messenger” button and share the picture to yourself.
- You can now login to your computer and open the picture.
- Right click to “Save as” option to save the photo on your desktop.
Third Party Apps
You can use third-party apps to download and save pictures. However, not all of them work. We have found the following two options to do the task seamlessly:
- DownloadGram’s Website
You can paste the URL of the picture you’d like to save into the box on the website and download the Instagram photo easily.
- 4KStogram App
Install this program on your desktop and use it to download Instagram photos, videos, and stories easily. You can add the hashtag to search and download your desired content and store it on your desktop. But for unrestricted use, you’ll need to buy a license key.
The last option is for the truly desperate ones!
We would advise you to stick to the above mentioned options and tag the original owner’s Instagram account if you plan on re-sharing those pictures or videos.