If you are using or possess more than one Instagram account, you are not the only one.
The truth is, most of the Instagram users with multiple accounts have personal profiles, fun ones (pet accounts, fan accounts) and profiles for work.
And while having more Instagram account switchingis great, switching between them and signing in and out is usually tricky.
Just when you thought there is no way out of this frustration, there actually is. The feature is called Instagram Account Switching and it was announced back in 2016.
How Can You Create A New Instagram Account?
Before covering the topic of switching between Instagram accounts, let’s give you a guide on how to create another Instagram account – should you need it.
- All you need to do is the following:
- Open your current Instagram account
- Tap the 3 lines at the top right section
- Tap the gear icon at the bottom and choose Settings
- Scroll to the bottom and then tap on Add Account
- Do not fill in the login screen – instead, tap Sign Up at the bottom of the page
- You will see an option to use Facebook for sign-up. If you have a Fecebook account you would like to link with your new Instagram account (and it has never been used to link an Instagram account before), choose it. Otherwise, choose Sign Up With Phone or Email
- Enter your phone and email. If you choose email, you will confirm your new account later from your email.
- Log in to your email and select the ‘Confirm your email address’ link from the text.
- If you choose Phone, you will need to enter the verification code that was sent to your phone number. Once you do that, tap Next.
- Add your Instagram profile photo, Name and Password.
- Create a unique username (you can use dots, dashes or numbers).
- Skip the remaining steps for now and start using your Instagram account!
Note: Don’t use the same email or phone for your second Instagram account. By doing this you may be locked out of the second account if you forget your password. Instead, we advise you to use different emails or phone numbers to recover your account.
How To Add The Instagram Account Switching To Your Existing Account
Account switching basically takes the pain out of signing in and out from each Instagram account separately – and lets you add multiple Instagram accounts within the same page.
To do that, you need to:
- Visit your profile and tap the 3 lines at the top right
- Tap the gear icon at the bottom of the screen (page)
- Scroll down and tap on Add Account (it is located near the bottom)
- Enter the username and password of the account you like to add
- Alternatively, you can login with Facebook and set up the other account.
Now that you added an account, you need to know how to switch through your accounts. To do that:
- Go to your profile
- Tap your username at the top of the screen
- Choose the account you like to switch to and tap on it
- Alternatively, switch from any tab by clicking on your profile picture in the bottom left section of the screen.
And the best part?
Instagram now lets you add up to 5 accounts on one device. Once you have multiple accounts added on your Instagram, you will see which profile photo appears signaling the account that it is currently in use. You can like, comment or perform other activities without having to sign out.
Push Notifications On Multiple Instagram Accounts: How Do They Work?
If you have added multiple accounts to your Instagram app, you may get push notifications from the account that has them turned on. This depends on the time you last logged in and the number of devices that are currently logged in to that specific account.
If you want to remove an Instagram account that you have added, you must log out of the account. To do that:
- Go to your profile and switch to the account you like to remove.
- Tap the gear or settings icon in the top right area of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap Log out of [username] or Log out of All Accounts. Doing the second will remove all of the accounts you have added.
How To Permanently Delete Your Instagram Account
If you want to permanently delete an Instagram account, you must be sure that you want to do this. Permanently deleting an Instagram account cannot be undone. This means that everything will be deleted one-time, including your profile, photos, videos, comments, likes and followers.
If you want to proceed with this:
- Go to the Delete Your Account page by logging in on www.instagram.com – you cannot delete your account from the app or on your mobile device
- Once you visit the page, log in (you can’t delete your account if you are not logged in)
- Select an option from the drop down asking you ‘Why are you deleting your account?’ and re-enter your password
- Click or tap Permanently delete my account
- If you want to delete a different account, click the username in the top-right of the Delete Your Account page, tap/click on next to it and select Log Out. Log in back with the account that you want to delete and follow the instructions as written above.
At last, we hope this guide helped you learn how to create another Instagram account, include it on your Instagram app, how to switch between existing Instagram accounts and how to remove an Instagram account – as well as permanently deleting it.