Looking for an Instagram names generator?
You’ve come to the right place.
Finding the ideal name for Instagram is a complicated process. After all, your name will be an essential component of your brand and image online. Get it wrong, and you risk alienating your target audience completely.
Unfortunately, most of us don’t have the time (or creativity) to come up with endless handle and username ideas by ourselves.
That’s where Instagram username generators come in handy.
Here, we’re going to cover everything you need to know about how to come up with an Instagram name using generators, top tips, and helpful advice.
Before you Start Using an Instagram Usernames Generator
Before we send you off to start tracking down the best Instagram handle generator, it’s essential that we cover some basic ground rules first.
Initially, you should know that a username and a handle isn’t the same thing. The handle of your username is the thing that you’ll find in the URL at the top of your account page. Your username is the thing that has the @ in front of it.
Ideally, to have the most memorable presence on Instagram, both your username and handle should be the same. This will make you more discoverable on your social channels and assist in boosting brand recall too.
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are certain kinds of the username you should always avoid. When you get to work with your username generator, stay away from anything that is:
- Too generic: JohnScott222 doesn’t tell anyone anything about who you are or what you do.
- Too long: JohnScottTravelBusinessGuru is just too much for anyone to remember.
- Too complicated: Keep dots and hyphens out of the middle of your name if you can.
- Too unusual: Random characters like John$co^^ might make your name unique, but it will also mean that it’s harder to remember
How to Come up with an Instagram Name: Golden Rules
Now that you know what not to do when you’re using your Instagram usernames generator let’s look at how to come up with an Instagram name that works.
Remember, you want something that’s going to be:
- Original: Stay away from anything too similar to your competitors, or you could end up sending your followers to the wrong destination.
- Simple: Make sure that your chosen title is easy to remember and spell so that your audience doesn’t struggle with it.
- Characteristic: Remember that your username should tell people something important about you and who you are. Be an individual!
- Short and sweet: The shorter your username is, the catchier it will be. Stick to something small and simple.
- Familiar: If you already have a presence online with a blog, website, and other social media accounts, use the same name that you’d use elsewhere.
Inspiration for Your Instagram Name Generator: Types of Usernames
Another thing to keep in mind before you go and use an Instagram name generator is that there are different kinds of username depending on what you want to do with your IG account. For instance:
- Business names are designed to showcase your professional nature. If you’re opening an Instagram account for your shop, it should have the same title as that store – not your personal name. This will help to improve brand awareness.
- Personal profile names are ideal for people who want to develop a personal brand. Think of influencers like @GaryVee, for instance. If you’re designing a personal profile, then your own name will be the best title you can choose.
- Curation: Accounts that curate content for a specific brand or theme are generally the most creative. For instance, @TheGoodQuote or @PowerofPositivity. Make sure the name you choose here speaks to your target audience
Got all that?
Great, now let’s find you an Instagram username generator.
Finding the Best Name Generator for Instagram
Finding a cool username generator isn’t difficult these days.
There are plenty of companies that offer free tools that will combine aspects of your name or business with other words or numbers to create something unique.
Although there are many username generators Instagram users can try, some are better than others. Here are our top picks, and how they work.
Probably the best-known Instagram handle generator around today, SpinXO asks you a handful of questions so that it can intelligently suggest the right username. For instance, it will ask:
- What’s your name or nickname?
- What’s your personality like?
- What your hobbies are, or what your business is about?
- What are your special favorite words?
- What kind of numbers are your favorite?
Mushing all of that information together helps SpinXO to come up with a variety of around 30 different usernames to choose from each time you use the tool.
If you’re looking for an Instagram usernames generator that doesn’t ask you quite as many questions, then Jimpix might be the ideal option. All you need to do is enter your name and choose from a range of categories relevant to your account. There are plenty of amazing options to choose from, or you can just select the “Random” category.
Jimpix handles will always include your first name, so keep that in mind if you’re looking for something more anonymous.
Another option for people in search of Instagram name generators is LingoJam. This simple tool provides you with a completely random selection of exciting names to choose from. If you’re looking for something that’s totally out of the box – then this is the tool for you. There’s the option to enter any word or name that you’re interested in, then LingoJam will throw up a selection of suggestions based on the information you’ve given.
It only takes a single click to generate plenty of ideas too – so there’s no need to worry that you won’t be able to figure out how to use this tool.
4. Username Generator
So this username generator might not have the most exciting title itself, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not worth your time. You’ll be able to use this simple tool to create a handle that includes a specific number of characters – which is great if you want to make sure that you don’t want to cover overboard with an exhausting and lengthy name.
Some of the ideas provided by this software won’t make a lot of sense, but they’re sure to get your mind racing with inspiration.
5. Username Buddy
Finally, if you genuinely don’t know where to start with Instagram names generators, and you just want something random, try Username Buddy. This generator allows you to pick nothing more than a starting letter and a couple of categories to inspire your new title. The results will give you something wonderfully poetic to choose from.
This is the kind of Instagram handle generator that you want to use if you’re going to be running a curation-focused Instagram account.
How to Get the Right Instagram Username
Remember, once you’ve chosen the Instagram username generators you want to use, you’ll still need to make sure that you’re picking the right title overall.
Although only can decide which handle speaks best to you, we’ve got a few helpful tips that should ensure you stay on the right track:
- Always make it relatable to your audience: Ensure that you choose a name that’s going to speak to the target audience you want to attract. A cute name is more likely to appeal to younger audiences, while a professional one will help you to stand out in the B2B world.
- Make sure it’s relevant: Just like a business name, your Instagram username should offer a hint into what you do and what you stand for. Your title doesn’t need to be obvious, but it should make sense according to the brand you’re trying to build.
- Do your research: If you want your username to stand out on the search engines, then you might want to do some research into keywords that are commonly associated with brands like yours. This could make it easier for customers to find your username too.
- Keep it simple: Instagram usernames are always restricted to 30 characters or less. Don’t push the limits. The shorter and simpler you can go, the better.
Additionally, make sure that the name you choose isn’t too close to a title that’s already being used. We mentioned above that this will harm your brand image, but it could also get you into trouble with copyright and trademark infringements too.
Changing your Instagram Username
Once you’ve found the title that works for you with help from the Instagram name generators mentioned above, all that’s left to do is change your title. If you’re starting from scratch, you can just enter your name when you create your Instagram profile. On the other hand, if you’ve grown tired of your old username and want something new:
- Go to your Instagram profile
- Click Edit Profile
- Go to Username
- Delete your old username and enter your new one
- Click Done
Remember, picking a username can seem like a tough job at the best of times. The good news is that there are plenty of Instagram name generators out there to help you. Use one of these tools, and the tips we’ve covered above, and you’ll be on your way to an amazing, memorable handle.